Pages

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

it starts with me or "haters gonna hate anyway."


I had a few minutes after lunch today so I was scrolling through on of my social media apps. Someone had shared a picture of themselves after a year of  intense fitness training. You could tell from the photo that they worked hard to get there. 

The comments on the photo were anything but positive or complimentary. Some called it  grotesque, others questioned gender or sexuality.......... Okay, you get my drift here, right?

That's social media in 2017. Sit behind a smart phone of tablet screen and be anonymously brave. 

You can always delete your post, ya know? 

Sigh. 

A few years back I shared a story in a posting. 

Two clients owed me some money they told me they couldn't pay me. 

Sorry John, it aint there.

I shared it with the world. and how sometimes those things are going to happen and it's how you handle the situation that matters.

Right?

I received one comment and it devastated me. 

In short, the person told me I was a fake, a fraud and a phony for even beginning to believe that I was anything close to being a business coach. I believe, no I know, they called me "a joke."

Ever had that feeling in the pit of your stomach. The one where the whole world saw you naked and it wasn't a pretty picture? You hear the whispers and the snickering and you can imagine yourself turning beet red?

I must have tried to respond a dozen different times but each answer was petty, hateful and spiteful. I didn't feel very good about anything I wrote. 

So I didn't. 

I just carried it inside for awhile and that's never good. 

A few weeks later a friend made a random comment

It's what they do.

Short of hurting other people, we have a right to cut our own swath through this world and yeah we are gonna stumble and sometimes even crash and burn. 

It's what we do after that matters.

It does not matter what anyone else thinks or believes. It only matter what that we believe in ourselves, our mission and our journey. 

We can't ask for support from anyone else until we give it to our self. 

So I sucked it up and moved on. 

It was a hard lesson to learn. 

It wasn't the first and I know it won't be the last.

It starts with me

And you.