Pages

Monday, January 30, 2017

You can farm with a tractor, quicker than you can with a plow - A Networking Tip


Jim and I were in deep discussion.

So the guy says to me, "Jim you know half the people in the Tri-State area." I looked at the guy and laughed and said "You know the other half." Shoot John, between me and you, we probably know everyone in the area.

He was right. We probably did know most people in the area.

But, you know what Jim? I've found that you can whittle that list down to people we BOTH know and get almost immediate results. Lemme tell you a story.

I met Julie by accident at a networking event a little over a year ago. I say by accident because she stopped in after the event was completed to get a client of hers to sign some paperwork. Our mutual acquaintance did the proverbial You two should get to know one another. 

Small talk ensued.

I found out a co-worker of hers was someone I'd known for some time. He went to high school with a few of my children. I trusted and respected his opinion.  We exchanged business cards and before I was out of the parking lot I was on the phone with our mutual acquaintance - Jody

Just have one question for you my friend. Is Julie the real deal? 

She was, and more. Jody went on to ask me if I knew a host of other people. I did. I respected and trusted each of them. Those references went a long way to creating an almost instant credibility for Julie in my eyes.

During the next year we have had an opportunity to refer clients to each other. In one case she was able to assist a family member of mine who walked away not only satisfied but impressed. Any time I run across someone who might benefit from her expertise she is on the top of my list to refer them to.

We could have done the dance - You know, met for coffee a few times, felt each other out - You know the drill. Well, the easiest way to describe it is the difference between email and snail mail.

Jim nodded his head and said it made sense.

We live in a fast paced, no time for second thoughts world today. Yes, I agree with Dr. Ivan Misner:


But, maybe in our world today instead of farming with a plow, we use a tractor.

Those business cards you collect? Put them to good use! Create a wide network of people. You never know when you'll meet a Julie!!


John Jurkiewicz is the CEO of New Career Creations a unique approach to happiness and success in our lives by gaining satisfaction and fulfillment in our careers. He has over forty years of experience in operation management, human resource management, training and development and has owned his own business for over 17 years. John is certified as a life coach, a career coach, and an intuitive career coach. He and his wife Joan have been married for 42 years.