Pages

Monday, December 19, 2016

A Mothers Love




When our kids were in Catholic grade school we were  required to periodically work bingo. Ever wanting to be the center of attention, I volunteered to learn to "call" Bingo once every four weeks.

I mean, shoot-fire!!! I was on a platform, I had a microphone and according to state law once I called out the first number of the first game I was the final authority on all things Bingo for that session.

I was like a hog in slop!

Seriously though, it wasn't as fun as it initially seemed.

Some people would holler out I was calling the numbers to quickly. - These were people who were trying to manage 20 plus Bingo Cards.

Then, there were the folks who hollered at me because I was calling out numbers to slowly. - These were the people who were only managing 2 or 3 Bingo cards.

Get the picture? Ya can't win!!

One Sunday, while they were visiting from up north, my mom and dad attend Bingo. My mom was a casual player. Half way through the second game it started.

You're calling to fast!!! Slow down. 

Can ya speed it up. We don't have all night!!

From her perch in the second row my mother rose.

Leave him alone. He's doing the best he can!

Can you say embarrassed!!

It wasn't like I could slink away to the men's room. I was on a platform with a microphone and in charge.

Man plans and God laughs.

All this came to mind during Mass this past week. Approaching Christmas, the gospel was about Mary waiting for the birth of Jesus. We don't know a whole lot about Mary other than what the gospels tell us and her role in the Christian salvation narrative. That conversation can provoke all sorts of discussion!!

No matter how we slice it Mary was a mom.

So, as I sat there listening to Father Tony tell us it was verboten to save seats for family members at Christmas Eve Mass, I wondered if Mary ever stepped out of the crowd and told them to cut Jesus a bit of slack.

The gospels and Renaissance artists portray Mary as a quiet, obedient person who stayed in the background.

No matter how we slice it Mary was a mom.

That was her kid and yes he was the Son of God and Savior of the world but you want problems? Mess with me!!

I had to smile. Somehow I saw Jesus on the Bingo platform with me, his hand on my shoulder, smiling a bit himself and letting me know he understood.

That made him and his mom, that much more real.

Nothing greater or stronger than a mothers love

Namaste.

John Jurkiewicz is the owner and operator of  New Career Creations a unique approach to happiness and success in our lives through gaining satisfaction and fulfillment in our careers. He has over forty years of experience in operation management, human resource management, training and development and has owned his own business for close to 17 years. John is certified as a life coach, a career coach, and an intuitive career coach.  He and his wife Joan have been married for over 42 years