Pages

Monday, October 3, 2016

Are You Experienced? (With Apologies to Jimi Hendrix)



From time to time I'll host a seminar on how to start your own business at my local public library. It's a good way to get newsletter and blog subscriptions, a great way to practice and enhance your platform skills and truth be told, I enjoy the sound of my own voice. (I'm my biggest fan!)

There is one, rock solid truth I share in every session:

Never take advice on how to start a business from someone who has never started a business. 

It's like learning to fly an airplane from someone who has read a lotta books about airplanes but has never actually flown one

Can you say disaster?

I make that comparison to coaching because since the world economy went into a tailspin almost 10 years ago, it seems as if coaches of all shapes, sizes and disciplines have come  popping up like weeds in the garden. 

People tell me I'd be a good coach, John. 

How come? 

I'm compassionate and a good friend. Oh yeah, people tell me I am a good listener. 

With all due respect, both my dogs posses those characteristics and while I value and love them dearly I wouldn't hire them as my coach. 

What qualifies you?  That is the first question you should ask a perspective coach. 

I am a certified life coach in two disciplines, general and intuitive. I am certified as a career coach and I am currently studying for my relationship coaching certification. 

Are life and career experience important?  You betcha!!! When coaching first came to be popular most coaches were academics and only affordable by executive managers. It's important that you discover what your coach has done during their career that qualifies them to guide you.   

I spent over ten years in operations management and over twenty years in human resources - hiring, firing, training and developing. I stated my own consulting firm in 1999. In 2001 I began coaching managers and supervisors and by 2006 was coaching people in all aspects of their careers. 

Can I talk with some of the people you've coached? Do you have references? 

Absolutely.

Quality coaching is not cheap. Make sure the person you engage is qualified to guide you.

Coaching is an investment in your future whether it be your life or your career. Do your homework and take your time in reaching a decision. 

John Jurkiewicz is the owner and operator of  New Career Creations a unique approach to happiness and success in our lives through gaining satisfaction and fulfillment in our careers. He has over forty years of experience in operation management, human resource management, training and development and has owned his own business for close to 17 years. John is certified as a life coach, a career coach, and an intuitive career coach.  He and his wife Joan have been married for over 42 years