Pages

Monday, September 26, 2016

The Hound of Heaven




The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my sheep. ~John 21:17


There is a poem titled The Hound of Heaven by Francis Thompson. It's a long poem but it begins like this. 


I FLED Him, down the nights and down the days;
I fled Him, down the arches of the years;
I fled Him, down the labyrinthine ways
Of my own mind; and in the mist of tears
I hid from Him.........



I dotted all the "I's" and crossed all the "T's". I attended church, sang in the choir, gave inspiring speeches on retreat and knew my Scripture inside out. I was a good husband, father, and provider. I was not and never will be perfect. I never saw myself as being anything special. I was a husband and a father of six great kids. I had a steady job with a Fortune 5 company. People just don't start going to work and begin spreading the love of God as their prime profession when all of that is at stake.

Do they?

**********


I stood just inside the basement doorway enjoying the coolness. When we were younger my mom would make cookies and candies for holidays and put them on a folding table  to keep them fresh.  It was always very still and very quiet. I loved going down there. It was dark and cool.and the only light came from a small window on a far wall. You have to let your eyes adjust for a moment or two. 


I heard a faint but distinct voice in my heart and my head. 

Feed my sheep

Okay. You still haven't quite adjusted to the light. The power of suggestion, your mind playing tricks and some wishful thinking. I've never much cared for the "Repent or risk the lake of fire and everlasting brimstone crowd."I do not believe that's the point.  

"Where there is doubt faith, where there is despair hope and where there is sadness joy. 

That's what my coaching practice has evolved to. No charts, no graphs, no crawling inside your head. Someone asked me where I find my clients; how do I market and funnel and convert and all that jazz. I told them that they find me. 

It took a long time but I understand what that voice deep down inside of me meant for me. It meant that I was to share the hope, the faith, and the positive value with people who needed it most.

They don't teach that in business school.

Are you searching?

Maybe you can almost taste it or reach out and touch it but as soon as you do, it moves out of your reach.

Maybe you are tired of hitting your head against the wall because every time you take a step forward you feel yourself slowly sinking.

I can't quantify hope. It's not in a book it's in your heart.

I can help you find it, in your life and your career. 


John Jurkiewicz is the owner and operator of  New Career Creations a unique approach to happiness and success in our lives through gaining satisfaction and fulfillment in our careers. He has over forty years of experience in operation management, human resource management, training and development and has owned his own business for close to 17 years. John is certified as life coach, a career coach and an intuitive career coach.  He and his wife Joan have been married for over 42 years