Pages

Saturday, July 30, 2016

We Forget




She would have been 80 years old this year

One morning in September of 1942 she was herded into the streets and asked to kneel down along side other children.

One by one they were shot in the back of the head.

The Nazi's called it an efficient and effective way of managing the Jewish population. The ghetto was over crowded.

They were "removed."

Her mother was a tailors assistant  and was deported to the Chelmno death camp in October of 1942

They lived in a cramped apartment - Muhl Gasse 43, Flat 3. Lodz, Poland

She and her mother are buried in the Lodz Cemetery, Women's Quarter Section U-IX Left. It is a mass grave

Her name was Dobra.  She was 6.

Her mother's name was Alta. She was 32

Their last name was Jurkiewicz, the same as mine.

My family immigrated to the United States from Lodz. Records show that over 200 people with my last name, from Lodz were exterminated by the Nazi's during the Holocaust. Dobra and Alta were two of many

There are members of my family that ask Yeah but how do you know if they were.........

My answer is always the same  Does it matter?

The wick on my life candle is slowly burning down and the possibility of standing before the mass grave they lie in to tell them I do remember and always will remember is slowly slipping away.

Each year, at an appointed time I retrieve a paper that has all 200 plus names. Softly I repeat each name.

I will not foget