Pages

Monday, January 4, 2016

The G Word

Ever get stuck?

I mean this idea starts peculating in your mind and your heart beats a bit faster and you smile and you start to feel like Albert Einstein or Marie Curie.

Then, all of a sudden, outta no where, this large hat pin enters the picture and bursts the bubble.

Right behind it comes it's faithful companion "Ahhhhhh it wasn't meant to be."

We scartch our heads, sigh and move on. 




We are rock solid with "goals" Yup, they are the stuff success is made of. Can't get yourself nowhere without your goals. They are the bread and butter, meat and potatoes and all them other cool comparisons to success. 

How come we fail at reaching them so often? 

Why are there so many programs, processes and ideas on how to be EFFECTIVE in reaching our goals? 

If you are like me, you're inbox has been flooded with emails promising that if you just followed the writers easy-peasey-lemon-squeezy process, you will reach all of your goals lickety split. The sun will shine, the birds will chirp and the bee's will buzz and you'll be the next latest and greatest. (I might even grow some hair!!)

Okay, you get the picture. 

Show of hands here: How many of you chafe, just a bit when someone, anyone, other than yourself asks you to make changes, even if you know way deep down inside of you, you know you need to make? A sorta natural resistence

Did that make sense? 

Joan and I saw the movie Joy yesterday. (It was either Joy or The Hateful Eight.) Now, I gotta tell you for the first 15 or 20 minutes I was wondering why I was watching a movie about a dysfunctional family. If I wanted to do that I wouldn't have paid $12.50. I'd have sat on my front porch and listened to my neighbors. 

The last 2/3? Well worth watching. 

It's the story of Joy Mangano, the person who invented the self wringing mop, the felt lined coat hangers and whole bunch of other things you may have seen on HSN and QVC. 

Like most of us she had lottsa starts and fits and head scratching until she asked her daughter if she could use her crayons, colored pencils and drawing pad. 

When she opened the creativity gate, the ideas began to flow and from those ideas came dreams and from those dreams came goals, which led to successes.  

The guru's don't tell us that small bit-o-wisdom. If they did, you wouldn't need them and then they'd have to find something else to do other than try to make you and I feel guilty about not completing their program successfully

Here is what I have learned and what Joy Mangano reinforced for me: A goal is just a bunch of words unless it has dimension. You have to be able to see it, smell it, reach out and feel it, embrace it and maybe take out a hunk of paper and draw it. The point is to make it you're own. 



That's me 5 years ago. I was within 12 pounds of my goal weight and shortly after this picture was taken I ran in my first 5K. The last quarter of a mile I had tears running down my face I was so happy. 

A lotta goals had to reach fruition for that photo to be snapped. When I look at it , I am reminded of the effort, work, sweat and fun that went into reaching it. 

I've started looking at that picture every morning. It shows me what's possible because it's me. I am becoming my own motivator. 

I am inspiring me and that can be scary and exhilarating both at the same time. It means I either put up or shut up. I can't say "Well it's easy for him, he has blah,blah,blah." I am him. 

We start our journey, we get distracted and sometimes lost. We fail, we feel painfully alone. All those things make it really easy NOT to reach any of our goals. We're right when we say "I'm not him." (Or her) We are not. 

It begins with a fantasy, that becomes a dream, that becomes a goal. 

Deep inside of each of us are all the tools we need. 

Does it make the journey a bit longer sometimes?

As my wife is fond of saying "You betcha." 

Does it make the success sweeter and more fulfilling? 

You betcha