Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

R-E-S-P-E-C-T ***Bonus Blog***


Okay, I get it.There are times when you are just not sure. It happens to me all the time. I do something really simple: I ask before like I look like a moron. (I heard that!!!)

I am referring to online/social media/email marketing etiquette.

Lets pretend it's the old days and newsletters were printed on paper and handed out. Now, you are walking around with a big stack of your newsletters and you see me. You're going to ask me if I'd like a copy of your newsletter, right? I'm going to ask you "What's your newsletter all about?"

When you tell me it's about septic tank recovery, storm damage repair, assisted living or painting by numbers, I am probably going to give you a polite "No"

You gave me a choice.

Let's fast forward. I open my inbox and I find 4 emails with newsletters on septic tank recovery, storm damage repair, assisted living and painting by numbers.

When the next opportunity presents itself I asked someone why I was suddenly getting their newsletter.

Oh, you gave me permission

When?

When you gave me your business card. It has your email address on it. That means I have permission to email you. 

Who told you that

Blah-blah-blah from blah-blah-blah my email marketing representative. If you don't want it any more then just unsubscribe. 

How can I unsubscribe from something I never subscribed to in the first place?

****Lottsa Silence****

I thought maybe I was the only person this happened to, but as I told the story other people had the same experience.

Ask me if I want to opt in to your publication.



See, I gave you advance notice!!!

If I want you to subscribe to my newsletter Workplace Transformations then I'm going to post an opt in link.  It looks like this:


Now I've given you a choice and most importantly I am showing you respect by not assuming you don't want to read every word that comes out of my mouth!!

Once you sign up you'll get an email asking you to confirm your choice. Until you confirm your choice you won't receive my newsletter  These options respect your privacy. 

So, everyone gets a free pass, because you didn't know. 

But now you do

Have a nice day and sign up for my newsletter if you'd like

Photo's from:
 Pixabay - Free High Quality Images
HistoryMike: Department of Shameless Self Promomtion

#newcareercreations