Pages

Friday, December 18, 2015

An Instrument of Your Peace..... Bonus Blog


I have a favor to ask. 

Would you share this posting?

You see, while I normally put the "P" in positive I am growing weary of peoples attempts at humor at the expense of other people.

I didn't know poverty, addiction, emotional illness and hopelessness were fodder for an acerbic tongue on social media. I'm speaking of the postings both written and in picture that poke fun at people who aren't, well lets be hones here, people who aren't like US.

On top of being really good looking I read minds.

Yes, I count myself among those who have backed away from a person who doesn't seem "quite right."

Yes, I've laughed at people and made jokes.

I did all those things.

Then, like Paul of the road to Damascus, God gave me my own form of blindness in the manner of barley being able to walk without pain and agony for close to three years. Then, those who moved haltingly and in pain, those whose balance was compromised, those who suffered from anxiety and depression because there was no "cure"...............

Yeah, "them people." - I was one of them and the view I saw from the other side wasn't pleasant.

The people who beep at you in a parking lot and roll down their window and yell "What the hell is your problem?!?!" simply because you are walking slowly and gingerly.

The people in the grocery store who looked at you like you have three heads and moved away quickly when your whole left leg goes numb and resembles a noodle and you are left leaning against the end cap display because if you move you're gonna fall down. You find yourself alone really quick.

The folks who stayed away because they didnt want to be reminded.

You wanna cry out "It's not my fault! I didn't ask to be like this."

God blessed me. I see than now. I see that he gave me that opportunity to learn  there is nothing funny about suffering. He humbled me - big time, and I'll tell you while today the lesson was learned, thank-you-very-much, it was no fun.

I could go on and on.

I'll share something with you I say each  morning as I clear the sleep from my head and fumble about the bedroom getting dressed.

It's the Prayer of St Francis.

Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where there is sadness, joy.

O, Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love; For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; it is in dying that we are born again to eternal life.


I'm not ready to ascend into heaven quite yet. 

Paul said it best in his first letter to Timothy

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst.

I have my faults and they are many

The picture I snagged from Facebook at the beginning of this posting says it best. God only asks for our hearts, nothing grandiose or spectacular, just love and understanding for everything and everyone we encounter

It's a full time and a life time job. 

Now.......... as Dr. Laura always says Go do the right thing!

Namaste