Pages

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Don't Challenge, Change


Yup it,s that time of year.

My inbox is stuffed with exhortations to be healthy, to plan for the future, to get organized, to free my soul, to make 2016 the best year ever............... I could be here all day

I'm not hating.

I need to do all of those and a few more to boot.

By mid February even the greatest iron clad challenge of the year administered by the most influential guru's on the planet are often a fond memory.

But, what if................

What if there were one change that could be made universally that would take care of everything else?

What if instead of challenging ourselves to do something for a short period of time we dug deep, became a bit uncomfortable, tossed and turned for awhile but when the wrestling match was over we were left with serenity?

What if gratitude, thankfulness and being grateful were more than platitudes?

What if weren't discretionary in our thanks?

“Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector.I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

“But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

“I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
Luke 18:10-14

I'd like to think of myself more like the tax collector but in truth I live my life like the Pharisee thanking God that "I'm not like....." or "I'm grateful this didn't happen to me." 

Often my gratitude is smug and tinged with pity for the poor soul whose lot in life is just a smidgen worse than mine. 

We don't like to read these things, much less think about them. I know I don't. 

I've found that when I post blogs that have unicorns, fairy dust and magic in them my readership and comments spike, but when I talk about "this stuff," the things necessary to get to all of the magic, people vanish. 

I am grateful that I am learning to be thankful for everything that crosses my path on a day to day basis. It's made me, me. 

There has been much joy, some sadness and pain, but mostly days that are simply days that connect the two experiences. 

What if being thankful was standard operating equipment? 

What if innately I was thankful for you and you for me and for all the collective experiences in the universe?

Would we need anything else but each other?