Pages

Friday, October 30, 2015

Apples Just Aren't Apples & Neither is Your Resume ***Bonus Blog***

Joan and I were at the grocery the other evening. While she checked off the items on her list I found myself square in front of a huge display of apples.

I didn't know there were so many varieties of apples.



Did you know the best apple pies are made with more than one variety of apple? 

Okay, moving on.

Driving home I thought about a conversation I had earlier in the day with a client.

He wondered why the resume I created for him didn't look like the resume I'd created for his brother.

You're not your brother

Blank stare

Despite what the "experts" opine on a regular basis a resume is 3-dimensional. Imagine a beating heart. (I didn't actually say "opine" but I always wanted to use the word.)

He nodded.

In other words it's just like your DNA - No two alike. 

The easiest way to explain this, so you can get back to your life, is like this:

Everything you've done in your life and career has an individual imprint on it.  That imprint  is yours alone. While other people may share your interests and qualifications no one does it quite like you.

So how come your resume looks like everyone else's?

How come it's not like that display of apples - distinctive?

Whether were a Boomer, Gen X, Y, Z or a Millennial we all pretty much stick with the tried and true.

I mean, it's your career right? No sense fooling around with it. Make it vanilla, predictable and  safe.

But then when you sit around waiting for your phone to ring for an interview, maybe it's time to look beyond the experts, ya know?

We don't hire resumes, we hire people. Make yours a mirror of you.