Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2015

The WHAT's &HOW's: The Nuts and Bolts of Networking


Once you know your WHY, your HOW and WHAT come pretty easy.

Finding your WHY can be daunting because we live in a world full of buzz words, one liners and "Hurry-up- and-impress-me-I-am-busy."



It's the reason many people begin with WHAT and HOW.  In short, its easier but it often falls short of engaging your audience.


I want you to know you deserve to be successful. I want you to believe you are worth all the effort you put into yourself. I want you to know how valuable you are. 

That's my WHY

As soon as they hear it  my audience knows what motivates me to do the things I do.

My WHY is the my platform and just like the foundation of any solid building; when its aligned right everything else is clear.

Make sense?

Okay good.

So lets say you've just heard my WHY, you are on the edge of your seat and that little voice is wondering just how in the name of all that is holy are you going to reach those lofty ideals.

My WHAT is simple.

You will look inside yourself and make the adjustments that are necessary for you to reach your success goals, create the action steps for yourself that will move you forward and finally help you learn how to create you internal support system to reach your goals when things get tough.

My HOW is: Your path to self discovery through questions and answers. 

A  participant in a leadership workshop I was teaching set a goal to train for and run in a marathon race. He was young, and in good shape. I noticed when we'd take a break he was the first one out the door and  would light a cigarette.

At lunch I told him how much I admired his dedication and how hard it was to train for a marathon. It required dedication  and sacrifice. I asked him if he'd identified any immediate obstacles.

During our afternoon session he announced he was adjusting his goal. He was going to enroll in a smoking cessation program. He really wanted  run a marathon and by quitting smoking he would overcome an obstacle in his path.

He got there by listening to some of the questions I'd asked about what was necessary to complete his goal and he arrived at his choices after he realized that smoking was a huge impediment to reaching his goals.

When he finished here is what it may have looked like to him:





So when I formulate an elevator speech it sounds something like this.






(Yup that's me caught in my natural habitat with my mouth wide open)

Once you've put it all toether you may want to record your pitch to see how it sound. 

I hoped this helped. 

Next week I am going to talk about Authenticity and Honesty in Networking