Pages

Friday, December 19, 2014

Why Wait?

"Well I guess we should enjoy the next week or so." The first voice said with a hint of resignation. 

"Why is that?" Asked a second voice. 

"The New Years Resolution people will be here soon. This place will be a zoo." Answered the first. 

In the back ground the Greek chorus murmured their ascent.



I was standing in front of my locker getting dressed after my morning workout and those voices migrated over the bank of lockers in front of me.

I can't say I could argue with the guy. I've been part of that gym for five years now and I've felt the same frustrations. Every year around January 1 we sit down at our desks or in front of our computer screens and we promise ourselves that the next year will be different. We begin a new diet, join a gym, buy a pair of good shoes to walk in............. My gym will hold an open house, offer a reduced membership rate and dazzle you with the promise that come spring break you too will fit into your vacation clothing. And every year right around Valentines Day things go back to a normal predictability.

Why do you think that is?

It's not about your moral fiber or character. It has nothing to do with self discipline or will power. You are not a "bad person."

Simply put' you are over whelmed.

Think about it a minute. You and I have lived "one way" for a long, long time and all of a sudden, because of a day marked on a calendar, we begin to deny ourselves and somewhere deep inside our minds and our bodies say something like, "Whooooooooooa wait a minute here."

So, we listen to inspirational music, play inspirational videos and "gut it out," until finally one day our bodies say, "That's it, I'm through with this nonsense." Then the whole downward spiral begins. We look in the mirror and play the blame game.

What if there's another way. I mean, why wait?

That's what I asked myself the day after Thanksgiving when my I had a hard time buttoning my pants. Why wait until the new year?

On top of being really good looking I read minds. I know what you are thinking. "This is the holiday season. Too much temptation, too many parties, to little time."

They still sell bananas, blackberries, pineapples and grapes don't they? (Those are my favorites.)

Okay I'm not going to moralize just make a suggestion or two. Things that are helping me weather the storm and stick to my goal(s).

Start Small
The day after Thanksgiving I set a goal for myself to reach by January 1. It was challenging enough that I'd have to work towards it, but very reachable so while I am required to change my habits, I'm doing so slowly and with purpose.

Start Now
If I make the commitment to start small it's easier to start now. I eased into my goal. My trigger food is french fries. I know if I eliminate them from my diet things go much smoother. That's what I did day one. I could go on, but you get the point. Starting small means I can start now.

A healthier life style is one of my goals but I have found with the people I work with this process removes a major stumbling block for them/ Take the bay steps and start small, start now and when you reach the first plateau, stop, and take a deep breath and ask yourself:

"What's my next success going to be?"