Pages

Sunday, December 21, 2014

If This Were Easy...................

"Humans happen to be complex creatures living in a complex world, so why would we expect the answers to any interesting question to be simple?"

David Friedman is a science and business journalist and his remarks were quoted in a book about back issues. (Which I happen to live with on a daily basis, but you didn't come here to read about my troubles and woes.) During my morning walk those words kept coming into my thought process and it dawned on me after a bit, (I am sometimes not the sharpest tool in the shed)that we as coaches and consultants often forget  those words when we deal with our clients. We've turned into the pill pushers of the business world.

Don't believe me?  Analyze your inbox?

Look at every piece of mail that pertains to you as a business owner. Metaphorically speaking, set them up side by side. They all follow the same format or offer the same prescription don't they?  If you follow through and do what they suggest you and your business will be a resounding success.

"Humans happen to be complex creatures living in a complex world, so why would we expect the answers to any interesting question to be simple?"

A boss of mine used to say there are easy ways to separate the contenders from the pretenders. Here are three ways you (and I) should utilize in looking for a  business coach.

They listen, listen, and listen. Then........... they listen some more.
I cant  understand you and your business until I listen to you and your unique situation. No charts and graphs, no deep rooted soul searching, no magic. I sit back and close my eyes and I listen to everything you tell me. I want to be sure I'm the right person for you. I can only do that by listening to you tell me about your situation. It's your DNA

They ask questions. 
If I'm listening to you, really listening to you, then my questions won't sound like they are being read by a telemarketer sitting in a room with 1,000 other telemarketers. The questions I ask you should pertain to YOUR business.

They give advice.
If you were able to figure out where you needed to go, how you needed to get there and what was the quickest way to do so you wouldn't be paying someone like me. You pay me for my experience and my knowledge. Again, there is no magic template. Each situation is different and each situation requires it's own specific action. You will try, you will succeed and at times you will fail.

All of this starts with a conversation. It begs the question "Are we right for each other?"  An email wont accomplish that.

"Humans happen to be complex creatures living in a complex world, so why would we expect the answers to any interesting question to be simple?"

I'd love to listen, so if you think it's time to take the next step give me a shout.